What are your fears and phobias?

 Storm Drains


“Nyla, run out and do this next one,” my mother said as she extended the newspaper towards me. I sat in the car torn between the outstretched arm and the water swiftly flowing into the inauspicious drain beneath the orange mailbox. A knot tightened in my stomach, as the unsettling image of an unseen force pulling me into the drain flashed through my mind. “ Just do it youll be fine” I reassured myself as I summoned the courage to accept the task. 

Tentatively grabbing the newspaper from my mothers hand I exited the car with hesitation. The rainwater's gurgling descent into the drain seemed to echoe ominously in my ears as I cautiously advanced towards the mailbox. Suddenly, the blare of a horn shattered my focus, jolting me back to the task at hand

“ Come on, Nyla.” my mother called out impatiently. With a quick glance from the car to the drain I tossed the newspaper into the mailbox and spirited back tot the safety of the car. My heart was pounding with a mix of safety and relief. 




Needles

Can you sit on your mommy's lap for a moment? Now, Mom, hold her with your arms," the nurse instructed. Blissfully unaware of the impending ordeal, I complied, settling onto my mother's lap while playfully kicking my legs back and forth. It seemed like an innocent moment until I spotted the nurse approaching with a needle.

As the nurse prepared my skin with an alcohol wipe, the realization struck me—I had been deceived. Panic set in, and I began to squirm, desperate to escape my mother's grasp. The needle loomed, and in a desperate frenzy, I screamed, kicked, and briefly entertained the idea of running away from home. However, my attempts were futile. 

Four shots later, I sat with a face stained with tears and a soul marred by my mother's unwitting betrayal. The trauma lingers to this day. 


Failure: 

The quote ‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, it is that we are powerful beyond measure.’ used to resonate with me. I interpreted it as a reflection of our fear of having to shoulder the responsibility that greatness brings, causing us to be wary of our own capabilities. 

However, as I have begun to navigate the college application process, and meticulously laid out my achievements for strangers to evaluate, my perspective has shifted. 


I have recently realized that my fear is not rooted in the potential negative ramifications of greatness; instead, it's the looming specter of inadequacy that haunts me. My worry is that despite my best efforts my goals will constantly be slightly out of my reach. Regrettably I am unsure how to confront or overcome this fear. How do I convince myself of my own adequacy? When will I be sure that my life will not simply be a compilation of me chasing unattainable goals? These questions plague my mind and the fear of not being good enough persist in this crucial juncture of my life. 


Authors Note: I wanted to try something a little different, this isn't the traditional format for a personal essay so I had a lot of trouble integrating personal reflection, some tips on that would be appreciated.

Comments

  1. These are all well-written scenes with vivid details, and they could each serve as a nice introduction to an essay. As for the reflection, these three stories could serve as a springboard for you to discuss specific events or experiences over time that led to a change/development in your relationship to the fear. For example, for your fear of failure, you could expand on the specific thoughts during your college application process that led you to realize that your fear comes from an anticipation of inadequacy. You could also add anecdotes of how/why you held your initial belief about failure or offer examples of how this belief manifested. For cohesivity, I think it would make sense to focus on one of these three stories, but if you wanted to use them all in one essay, it would be important to show how they connect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your structure is very unique and eye catching! The narration you have is very nice and brings the reader into the moment. I think you could add reflection for each fear, either at the end or within each "section", but I love the reflection you have on fear of failure at the end. You could also mention how you think of your fears now, and whether you have overcome them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jes Grew Rebellion

Ragtime

Exploring Interpersonal Relationships Within Kindred